Uclibc and blackfin

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 14 01:24:03 UTC 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007 2:41:55 am Koen Kooi wrote:
> > But I'm probably not your target audience. :)
>
> I'm in the same kind of situation as Rob, I want to have my *own*
> distribution running on the board. I don't care as much about standard
> sources as Rob, maybe I'm a bit more pragmatic :)

The thing is, if I'm banging on something like toybox or tcc, or doing a
kernel patch, or some such: I want to test it on multiple platforms.  I want
to build my source code and fire it up and run it through its paces
(generally via some sort of automated test script) on as many different
platforms as possible.  Because some of them WILL break due to endianness and
alignment issues and so on that I'm not going to spot until I try it.

And sometimes it's a different compiler version that breaks.  And sometimes
it's a different libc version.  And sometimes it's a kernel bug I have to go
off on a 3-day tangent to track down.

And if I'm trying to test on different platforms with different compiler
versions, different kernel versions, different shared libraries and tools,
and generally different ambient bugs, there's a world of hurt just waiting
for me trying to get _anything_ to work and I'm not going there.

> The fun starts when you have to build a avr32 gcc and bfin gcc from the
> same source. An excerpt from the patch that Atmel distributes (for gcc
> 4.0.2):
>
> -| avr-* \
> -| bfin-* | bs2000-* \
> +| avr-* | avr32-* \
> +| bs2000-* \
>
> ehm... that's 'special'

Yeah, that is.  It's also obvious they never tried to build blackfin from
their source code.

"This was never tested.  Of course it'll work."  Uh-huh.  Sure.

By the way, could you fix your mail server?

>                    The mail system
>
> <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl>: host mx.utwente.nl[130.89.2.13] said: 553
>     5.3.0 <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl>... Use your providers mail
> server. (in reply to RCPT TO command)