Locale support

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 14 01:15:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 3:57:27 pm Ned Ludd wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 16:32 -0500, Matt Hull wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a locale spec anywhere?
> > >
> > > I really don't know what locales _do_.  They're not something I
> > > normally use. (I vaguely understand unicode but have no idea how locale
> > > support would work into it.  There's date and time, currency
> > > translation, commas and decimal places in numbers, time zones, and all
> > > sorts of other weird stuff...)
> > >
> > > Rob
> > > --
> >
> > i havent looking to locales yet myself.  there seems to be alot of
> > packages that need it so i think its going to have to be fixed sometime.
>
> At Gentoo we make those programs work without the need for locales/nls.
> It's nearly never a problem. As many of us who are aware mjn3
> probably wont be giving locales attention any time soon. If when they
> do get support by someone else I can picture all of the existing code
> being tossed out the door.

Well, that's what I was sort of pondering, but it's something I've never
_used_ so it would be hard for me to tackle.  (Then again, sed was something
I'd never used when I bit the bullet and rewrote the busybox implementation.
But I had a spec and lots of failing test cases.  With locale support, the
easy thing to do is just tell everything never to use it, so it's unlikely to
bubble to the top of my todo list...)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.