Locale support

Jim Blandy jimb at codesourcery.com
Wed Aug 8 16:36:08 UTC 2007

Natanael copa <natanael.copa at gmail.com> writes:
> For example, what date is 07/08/06? It depends on your locale. In USA it
> means July 8, 2006. In most European countries it means 7. Aug 2006 and
> in Japan it means 2007 Aug 6.

I have a good solution for this which nobody seems interested in.

First, we make centuries fifty-seven years long.  We count the first
century 44, the next 45, and so on up to 00, after which we start at
44 again.

Then, we start counting the days of the month 13, 14, ... 43.

We number months as we do now: 1 .. 12.

Thus, any two-digit number is unambiguously either a year, month, or
day within a month.  As a result, it doesn't matter what order you
write the numbers in; their range identifies their meaning.

I have written the editor of my local newspaper repeatedly on this
issue, without success.