Does uClibc support shared libraries?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Apr 21 01:35:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007, Ahan Hsieh 謝武漢 wrote:
> Above is a FAQ of uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/FAQ.html#shared)
>
> In my understanding, if shared library is supported,
> toolchain and loader have been improved to support it.
>
> Toolchin has to compile the shared library as PIC and
> transfer it to bFLT format. Also, some tricky mechanism has to
> been implemented.
>
> Loader must be able to load the shared library.
>
> But I don't understand why should uClibc support shared library.
>
> If the uClibc support shared library on MMU architecture.
> Why it can not support on MMU less architecture?
>
> If the shared library is compiled as PIC and transfer to bFLT format.
> Why should MMU be used ?
>
> Any other factor that I have not consider?

i really dont know what your questions are here so i'm just going to ramble
off some random statements.  the ELF format is completely unlike the bFLT
format.  having ELF shared library support says nothing at all about having
bFLT shared library support.  uClibc has to implement the ldso for handling
ELF shared libraries, the *kernel* has to implement the binfmt loader to
handle bFLT shared library support.  you cannot do normal ELF shared
libraries on no-MMU because of the relationship between the sharable
read-only sections (.text) and the per-process writable sections (GOT/PLT).
i dont know what architecture you're dealing with but i doubt it supports
FDPIC ELF on no-MMU which means you're stuck with bFLT.

for any future inqueries about bFLT and no-MMU, please direct them to the
uClinux mailing list.
-mike