-fsigned-char on all arches

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Fri Apr 13 15:12:41 UTC 2007

Will Newton wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 12:29:53PM +0100, Will Newton wrote:
>>> Is there a reason why signed char has been made the default rather
>>> than unsigned char? Because i386 is signed?
>> I assume it's just following the System V ABI for i386, which states
>> that plain char corresponds to a signed byte.  This choice probably
>> dates back to Xenix in the mid 1980s.
>
> The uClibc build process unconditionally passes gcc -fsigned-char on
> all architectures. I don't think it's the correct choice and will lead
> to suboptimal code generation on some platforms.

It also strikes me as exceedingly odd, and dangerous.  For example, any
macros defined in uClibc header files could have different behaviour
depending on whether they are used in uClibc or in an application.

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen