Kernel with uclibc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Apr 12 17:15:20 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 11:33 pm, Leandro Rache Sanchez wrote:
> Hello List, this is my first mail, i have some questions about uclibc,
excuseme if it is in documentation, really i dont read it yet,
> 1. Is possible to compile the kernel with uclibc, somebody has working in
it?

The kernel doesn't link against any libc, it builds with -nostdlibs.  It's
quite possible to build the kernel with a toolchain configured to link normal
executables against uClibc instead of glibc by default, but it makes no
difference to the kernel build.

Yup.  Been done.  See http://buildroot.uclibc.org for a project that does it.

> 3. Is possible to obtain one light version of phyton compiled with uclibc?

Again, look at buildroot.

> My intentions for to test uclibc is to obtain a fast light but complete
graphical distribution of linux, (maybe portable) specialized for low
hardware, such as palms, OLPC, OLD Pcs, and embedded PCs

> Is it possible with uclibc?

I think puppylinux.org does this although their website and documentation are
so truly horrible I just spent five minutes trying to confirm it and
couldn't.  I think the easy way would be to download the CD, boot it, and
look around...

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...