errno definition broken in non-threaded code

Jim Blandy jimb at codesourcery.com
Tue Sep 26 18:49:17 UTC 2006

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:35:50PM -0700, Jim Blandy wrote:
>>
>> Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> writes:
>> >
>> > user code should not be accessing errno directly ... that is the point of the
>> > __errno_location() function ...
>>
>> I see --- so uClibc should not be exporting errno as a plain variable,
>> as it does now.
>
> Whether it does or not is irrelevant since any program that declares
> "extern int errno;" rather than including errno.h is nonconformant and
> broken according to both ISO C and POSIX.

Yes --- as you say, programs that declare errno themselves are
incorrect.  But they aren't the issue here.

At the moment, in non-threaded configurations, uClibc's own <errno.h>
says "extern int errno;", breaking properly written programs, too.  As
I said earlier, uClibc's own test/inet/bug-if1.c fails because it's
not checking the same errno that uClibc's if_indextoname is setting.