uClibc-20060901 and binary size

nunash newnashworks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 22:52:56 UTC 2006

We have gcc 3.4.6 based toolchain built using buildroot. We used
uclibc-20060901. Everything statically built. No shared libraries at
all.

I noticed the binary size of a particular program was unusually large
(369K) because I know that the codebase is small. So, I compiled the
same program using different toolchain (gcc 4.1.1, uclibc-0.9.28). The
new size was only 86K!!

So, I compiled the first toolchain using uClibc 0.9.28 and recompiled
the program again. This time its size was 120K. That is 1/3rd smaller
if I use uclibc-0.9.28.

BTW:  In both toolchains, buildroot/toolchain/uclibc were same.

Any ideas why 20060901 is producing larger binaries?

Thanks
/kmk