help for SH4 Cross Compiler

Paul Mundt lethal at linux-sh.org
Thu Oct 12 07:26:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 08:01:22PM +0530, Gulab Chandra Yadava wrote:
> I have root_fs_sh4.ext2.bz2 and untar it as given instruction.
>
> # chroot root_fs /bin/su -  is failing as
>
> chroot: cannot run command 'bin/su': Exec Format error

Why are you attempting to use su as a login shell, especially when
you're already root? Try chrooting and using /bin/sh first, then su to
whatever you want after that.

> I have board based on STb7100 which supports for sh4.
>
> My second question is how I can cross compile using uclibc.

The same way you would use a cross compiler for any other toolchain. Did
you build this root fs itself, or simply download it?

> Do I need to create ramdisk for my target?

If you want to, go right ahead. You likely won't fit anything but a
trivial busybox root fs in it though, and you're better off just
building in a flat directory and pointing initramfs at it in that case.
Who really uses initrds this day and age anyways?

Please fix your mailer to strip out these silly win32 linefeeds.

> DISCLAIMER:
> This electronic message, and any attachments to this electronic message are
> intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s)named herein and may contain
> legally privileged and confidential information. It is the property of Celstream
> Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> strictly notified not to copy, forward, distribute or use this message or any
> attachments thereto. If you have received this message in error, please delete
> it and all copies thereof from your system and notify the sender at Celstream
> Technologies or administrator at celstream.com immediately

And while you're at it, get rid of this bogus disclaimer. Sending a
legal disclaimer to a public mailing list with public archives makes
even less than no sense.