Differences in pthread behaviour glibc/uClibc

sjhill at realitydiluted.com sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Tue May 30 18:42:21 UTC 2006

> I think FC's behavior is correct here, and OpenWRT's is not.  The
> POSIX 'exec' description says:
>
>      A call to any exec function from a process with more than one
>      thread shall result in all threads being terminated and the new
>      executable image being loaded and executed.
>
> OpenWRT is clearly not doing that.
>
> Does OpenWRT use LinuxThreads?  There, each thread is really its own
> process, and I believe 'exec' doesn't properly handle killing the
> other threads.

OpenWRT does use the linuxthreads model because it still runs a 2.4
Linux kernel. Until OpenWRT is usable with newer 2.6 kernels, it will
not be able to use uClibc NPTL for MIPS. Last I heard 2.6 for OpenWRT
was in testing mode, but the binary only drivers were the issue to
upgrading to 2.6 on most platforms.

-Steve