Retiring from uClibc development

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 11:46:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Manuel Novoa III wrote:

[...]

> > Why?  The whole point is to provide options.  The majority of devices
> > runing uClibc are not desktop systems with lots of ram.  Sometimes
> > every little bit helps.
>
> Yes, as does the hiding of internally used functions that save 10% by itself.

and some facts:
I have some options locally that switch back and forth attribute_hidden/hidden*
w/ different combos

case a. attribute_hidden is noop and hidden_proto/hidden_def are
enabled (creating the __GI_x duplicates, but not hiding, the result is
comparable with what .28 had, __GI_x was __x)
case b. attribute_hidden disabled and duplicate symbols disabled __x()
resp. __GI_x() vanished
case c. attribute_hidden/hidden_def/proto enabled (duplicate symbols are
requirement for this)

gcc-4.1, bss = 18516, data valid only in my tree (more hidden stuff)
output: $(size libc.so) (text data), JUMP, GLOB_DAT, $(ls -l libc.a)
a. 312627 4244, 517, 96, 1088444
b. 298340 4240, 517, 96, 1051315
c. 270740 1856,   6, 12, 1057540

Peter