SVID functions used in bb

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Mar 25 02:16:16 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 4:23 am, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Sorry for cross-posting, both lists are affected.
>
> I am intending to add an uClibc config option that disables the SVID
> (System V R4) only functions in uClibc (the common BSD/SVID ones remain
> untouched for now). These are fgetpwent[_r]/fgetgrent[_r]/putpwent/stime.
>
> Checking how this influences busybox I found:
> 1. *_r are used only to pwd_grp to provide the non-reentrant version of
> the same function.
> 2. the non-reentrant fget* are used in adduser/addgroup, additionally
> adduser uses putpwent
> 3. stime is used by date/rdate
>
> Checking my (uClibc based) box w/ about 500 packages, the fget* functions
> are not used at all, putpwent is used by shadow suite, stime by only
> net-snmp.

I have a pending cleanup of the shadow functions.  (The big passwd.c thing
that I decided not to hold up 1.1.1 for.)  Since /etc/shadow is a text file
containing colon-separated lines, just like /etc/passwd, there's no reason
both can't be read and modified with the same trivial text parsing code.

Rob