Long release cycle (was: RE: uclibc tool chain installation problem)

Nitin Gupta ngupta at mvista.com
Tue Mar 21 19:16:12 UTC 2006

Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:

> And no, using snapshots is really not an option, as it is much
> harder to relate to a snapshot when bug tracking.  It is much
> easier to say "we have a problem with 0.9.32" and have others
> relate to what we mean, than to say "we have a problem with
> the snapshot of 2010-03-21".
>
> Also, with snapshots you never know if you accidentally pull
> the sources in the middle of someone else's half finished
> changes.  This is unlikely to happen with official releases.

One more issue I have noticed with taking snapshot is that in last 1-2
months, drastic cleanup changes have been made in uClibc makefiles
almost every week, which makes moving from one snapshot to another very
difficult. I will appreciate if checkins to uClibc source base are
mostly fixes/enhancements and are approved by other uClibc developers.