Long release cycle (was: RE: uclibc tool chain installation problem)

Peter Kjellerstedt peter.kjellerstedt at axis.com
Tue Mar 21 09:17:23 UTC 2006

http://viewcvs.gentoo.org/*checkout*/src/patchsets/uclibc/0.9.28/48_all_
uClibc-svn-getdents.patch?root=gentoo
> > -mike
>
> That is not a patch to busybox that makes busybox mdev work
> with the most current release version of uClibc.
>
> I've noticed that the majority of people actually deploying
> stuff on real hardware tend to like the ability to use release
> versions of things, rather than random source control snapshots.
> Perhaps I'm working from a nonrepresentative sample, but it's
> been pretty darn consistent so far.
>
> Rob

Well, the extremely long release cycle of uClibc is definitely
a problem.  We are currently stuck at 0.9.27 as 0.9.28 does not
work for us.  The code in svn works, but as there is no new
release in sight, we have to wait to upgrade. :(

A release cycle of one to two months rather than once a year
would be much appreciated.  That way, if we incorporate a new
version and find some problems with it, we won't have to wait
a year to have them officially fixed...

And no, using snapshots is really not an option, as it is much
harder to relate to a snapshot when bug tracking.  It is much
easier to say "we have a problem with 0.9.32" and have others
relate to what we mean, than to say "we have a problem with
the snapshot of 2010-03-21".

Also, with snapshots you never know if you accidentally pull
the sources in the middle of someone else's half finished
changes.  This is unlikely to happen with official releases.

So please, with sugar on top, could we try to increase the rate
of uClibc releases?

//Peter