uClibc vs mc, kernel

Selmeci Tamas tselmeci at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 17:00:17 UTC 2006

Hello!

After successfully entering my new Linux system with chroot, I've
decided to make my life easier by compiling mc (Midnight Commander) for
that system. The system was generated with buildroot and of course, it's
using uClibc instead of glibc.

mc didn't want to compile, configure was looking for glibc files. Now I
think it's impossible (or with extreme efforts) to compile mc under
uClibc, isn't it? If someone has solved this problem please notify me...

Does anybody know a uClibc-based file manager? Sometimes I find it
"boring" to keep on typing commands in the prompt...

The second problem is the bigger. I've accepted that I have to work
without mc, but I need a working kernel for that environment, that's
sure. Being still chrooted, "make menuconfig" complained it's not able
to find -lncurses. In /lib libncurses.* do exist, and in /usr/lib
there's a symlink to /lib/libncurses. Why can't make menuconfig find it?
It seems that the compiler has problems locating libncurses
(/etc/ld.so.conf containt /lib and /usr/lib lines). Is there any chance
to configure a kernel in a uClibc environment, or I should make
configuring in my desktop system, copy config file and do the compiling
itself in the chrooted system?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards:
--