Buildroot kernel creation

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 9 22:49:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 8:55 am, Brent Cook wrote:
> > The "hard" issue here is one of configuration, I have provided for
> > either a user supplied kernel config file or for the the stable list a
> > set of "working" configurations for each architecture, these are
> > automatically selected for the default config. Patches for a specific
> > kernel can also be supplied and will be automatically applied.
>
> Kernel configuration and patch information is also specified under these
> device targets. Look at the example ones in SVN for an idea of how to add
> your own. I have in my local buildroot tree a target for a generic x86 2.6
> kernel and a few PPC targets for particular development boards. It's very
> useful already.

I'm going to be importing my miniconfig patch into busybox in the 1.1.2
timeframe:

http://lwn.net/Articles/161086/

And it would be easy for uClibc to sync it from there.  There's also an
existing patch against linux-kernel (which still applies and I'll happily fix
it up if it stops applying).

The advantage of miniconfig is that it's not version dependent.  You can
supply the same .config to the daily snapshot and life should generally be
good.  (It'll die with an error message if it tries to set a config variable
that doesn't exist, and if a new config entry shows up that you actually
_need_ to set it won't set it.  But to give you an example, my UML
mini.config from 2.6.12 still gives me a working 2.6.16-rc4 UML vmlinux.

Rob