Buildroot kernel creation

Brent Cook bcook at bpointsys.com
Thu Mar 9 13:55:19 UTC 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 05:39, Vincent Sanders wrote:
> Well there seems to be a bit of a missing element in buildroot that it
> doesn't have the option of building (Linux) kernels.

Hmm, I don't think so. Look under target/device/, kernel builds are handled on
a per-device basis. If you have the appropriate target architecture
specified, then you can select one of these (or add your own) and have
buildroot create a kernel.

> The "hard" issue here is one of configuration, I have provided for
> either a user supplied kernel config file or for the the stable list a
> set of "working" configurations for each architecture, these are
> automatically selected for the default config. Patches for a specific
> kernel can also be supplied and will be automatically applied.

Kernel configuration and patch information is also specified under these
device targets. Look at the example ones in SVN for an idea of how to add
your own. I have in my local buildroot tree a target for a generic x86 2.6
kernel and a few PPC targets for particular development boards. It's very
useful already.

 - Brent