Buildroot kernel creation

Vincent Sanders vince at kyllikki.org
Thu Mar 9 11:39:44 UTC 2006

Well there seems to be a bit of a missing element in buildroot that it
doesn't have the option of building (Linux) kernels. I understand this
might not be everyones view, however in the longstanding tradition of
"show us the code" heres a patch to get discussion started.

http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/SWBUILDROOT/files/buildroot-linux-kernel.patch.bz2

I have not attached it directly as I am unaware of the list limits on
patchsets.

The basic implementation is straightforward, the kernel package is
enabled as with any other package (defaults to n) and provides options
to either use the current kernel release candidate or select from a
list of stable ones.

The "hard" issue here is one of configuration, I have provided for
either a user supplied kernel config file or for the the stable list a
set of "working" configurations for each architecture, these are
automatically selected for the default config. Patches for a specific
kernel can also be supplied and will be automatically applied.

The configuration can be altered with the linux-kernel-menuconfig target

In future I envisage simple config rewrite rules for example:
User selects cramfs root, ensure the CONFIG_CRAMFS is set to y
User selects ipsec tools, ensure the basic IPSEC configs are selected etc.

Extensively tested on ARM 2.6 series (goodness wonder why ARM ;-) and
brief compile tests of x86, the default configurations are not great
or complete yet, merely provided for completeness.

--
Regards Vincent