Retiring from uClibc development

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Mon Mar 27 13:09:24 PST 2006

Hello or good bye!

My experience of being an uClibc developer:

Don't get in conflict w/ another developer ...

I am tired of argueing (is this correct english?)

I had to "run" 2 conflicting situations:

mjn3: He contributed much of the stdio/string/wchar/locale code, but
currently does not contribute due to other responsibilities. My problem
was that while he is not doing anything for uClibc, he is not willing/able
to help solving problems that are directly connected to his own code, even
ignoring patches that need "OK" to commit
I know that he disliked the way I splitted libc/string, I would have
splitted all the others needing this (ctype/wchar/...), but haven't dared
doing it, now uClibc will have to live w/ dummy .c files that include some
other .c.

sjhill: working on an uClibc branch and being "disturbed" by my changes
to uClibc trunk (he "catched" a "wrong" "stable" state, after that
almost everything was rewritten by me to get smaller uClibc and add some
security related issues)
(uClibc's libc.so really has gotten smaller by the way.)

I am tired to accept that anymore and disabled my svn account. I can't
work w/ ppl, who are not providing any help, the only reaction being
telling me that something is wrong, but not providing any help.
They all are right and me failing ...

I have sent "preliminary" patches to mjn3 for "approval". Result: gcc-4.1
has gotten faulty patches in buildroot ignoring my proposals

sjhill was "seen" in the earlier discussions: good luck w/ gettext ...

Peter