speeding up buildroot compile time for multiple users...

Mark S. Mathews mark at linux-wlan.com
Wed Jun 28 14:27:55 UTC 2006

Our requirements are different but we do something that's a half-step
towards what I believe your asking for.

We have our own kernel/modules/application/rootfs build environment
but for some targets we use buildroot to build cross-toolchains.

Based on what we've done here, it appears that perhaps there may a
relatively simple procedural approach to do what you want:

Use two buildroot trees.

One tree builds _only_ the toolchain and buildhost tools you need and
installs them to a fixed location (e.g. /opt/buildroot/<toolchainID>)
via the STAGING_DIR et.al. config variables.

The second tree uses the tools from the first and has a different
STAGING_DIR etc. that's local to the given developer.

This way you can rebuild the kernel/apps/rootfs at will without
requiring a rebuild of the toolchain (or even an inspection of their
source trees).

The buildroot config and makefiles for the second tree would require
some twiddling to get it working against the tool-build output of the
first tree, but it shouldn't be too tough.

This isn't an elegant or perfect solution, but it could work and
should be relatively quick to implement and low-impact on the existing
buildroot system.

Have Fun,
-Mark

Quoting Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org>:

> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 22:10, Clem Taylor wrote:
>> It would seem that this is something other people would do, so I was
>> wondering if anyone else does something like this and how did you get
>> it to work?
>
> build-out-of-tree support for buildroot would be nice, but i havent heard of
> anything trying for it ...
> -mike

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Systems      Web:    http://www.linux-wlan.com
721-D North Drive          e-mail: mark at linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934        Phone:  321.259.0737
USA                        Fax:    321.259.0286