buildroot fails for ARM w/ gcc 4.1 and soft float

Lance Spaulding lsjunk1 at cableone.net
Wed Jun 7 14:09:02 UTC 2006

Khem Raj wrote:

> Lance Spaulding wrote:
>

>>> look into the config.log file which is created when running
>>> configure in your build directory that will give you more info on
>>> whats happening.
>>

>> Here's the first error I see in the file:
>>
>> configure:2880:
>> /root/lance/buildroot/toolchain_build_arm_nofpu/gcc-4.1.0-final/./gcc/xgcc
>> -B/root/lance/buildroot/toolchain_build_arm_nofpu/gcc-4.1.0-final/./gcc/
>> -B/usr/local/arm-uclibc-tools/arm-linux-uclibc/bin/
>> -B/usr/local/arm-uclibc-tools/arm-linux-uclibc/lib/ -isystem
>> /usr/local/arm-uclibc-tools/arm-linux-uclibc/include -isystem
>> /usr/local/arm-uclibc-tools/arm-linux-uclibc/sys-include -c -g -Os
>> conftest.c >&5
>> conftest.c:2: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__'
>> before 'me'
>> configure:2886: $? = 1
>> configure: failed program was:
>> | #ifndef __cplusplus
>> |   choke me
>> | #endif
>>
>> Any idea why __cplusplus isn't defined in this case?  It builds OK if
>> I dont use soft float and the patch you provided to get ast the other
>> error.
>
> you may be missing g++ in your path. I do build gcc 4.1 with
> soft-float and dont have the problems with it.
> try to clean the build tree before you start the configure process.
>
> -Khem

Hi Khem,

I verified that I do have g++ in my path but I still get the error.  To
eliminate my gentoo setup, I installed fedora 5 on a spare partition and
tried building the toolchain there but got the same error.  So far I've
tried building on suse, gentoo, and fedora and all fail the same way.  I
did a search and found that this same problem was reported back in 2004
here:

http://www.busybox.net/lists/uclibc/2004-December/010680.html

and in 20505 here:

http://www.busybox.net/lists/uclibc/2005-August/012465.html

Since you say you are able to build a uClibc-based gcc 4.1 ARM toolchain
with soft-float and c++, would you mind providing instructions for how
you are doing it such as what system you are building on and your config
file and and any patches you are applying to the code?   I've been
trying the code from svn with the patch to arm/t-linux you suggested a
while back.

Thanks in advance,
Lance