uClibc snapshot + gettext = some minor issues

Robb, Sam sam.robb at timesys.com
Fri Jun 2 21:28:46 UTC 2006

All,

  In compiling gettext and libiconv with uClibc (not svn, but a very
recent snapshot), I noticed a few things with uClibc that struck me as
odd.  Things like:

  - error_print_progname is declared in a header, but the exported
    variable definition is commented out.

  I'm treating this as a bug in gettext, and patching around it... gettext
doesn't doesn't even test for existence of error_print_progname in configure,
it just assumes that the libc will provide it.  However, it seems as if the
declaration should be removed, or the definition re-instated.

  - MB_CUR_MAX is apparently only defined if __UCLIBC_HAS_WCHAR__ is set.

  Reading susv3 (http://www.unix.org/version3/sample/basedefs/stdlib.h.html)
it seems like this should always be available.  It looks as if there was some
attempt to implement this that's been obsoleted.  Would it be appropriate to
simply set MB_CUR_MAX to 1 (the default) is __UCLIBC_HAS_WCHAR__ is not set?

  - The uClibc include/bits/uClibc_arch_features.h (pulled in by features.h,
    which is pulled in by just about everything) indiscriminately defines
    internal_function, which causes some linking problems in gettext.

  I'm willing to accept this as another gettext error - that package is a
weird beast, in that it is primarily intended to build as part of glibc.
However, the rest of the internal headers are very good about using "__name"
instead of just "name", so this struck me as kind of unusual.

-Samrobb