using arm-elf-gcc vs arm-uclibc-gcc

benjamin tatsoplo tatsoplo at yahoo.fr
Mon Jul 24 08:10:38 UTC 2006

Hi everybody

 With arm-linux-uclibc-gcc (version 3.4.2) compiler, I succeed in compiling a simple helloworld program. But I failed in building an image.bin based on linux-2.4.x kernel provided in uClinux-dist-2005.

 With arm-elf-gcc (version 2.95.3) compiler provided from arm-elf-tools-20030314, I have a "crt0.o : no such file or directory" when trying to compile a helloworld. However, I succeed in building an image.bin based on linux-2.4.x provided in uClinux-dist-2005.

 In ARMulator arm-elf-gdb (provided in arm-elf-tools-20030314), I failed in debbuging the helloworld program compiled with arm-linux-uclibc-gcc.

 My questions are :
 1) Does arm-linux-uclibc-gcc is just used to compiled code for arm?
 2) Does arm-elf-gcc is only used to build an uClinux kernel?
 3) Do I debugs a arm code in ARMulator without the target hardware?

 thank's in advance
 Benjamin