using gdb on arm-linux

benjamin tatsoplo tatsoplo at yahoo.fr
Thu Jul 20 07:07:31 UTC 2006

Hi

  I'm trying to get gdb to work with uClibc as a arm7tdmi cross debugger.

  I builded gdb-6.3 on buildroot-snapshot-19_jul_2006 with:
  gcc-3.4.2
  binutils-2.16.1
  uClibc-0.9.28

  First, I have enabled "support floating point" option for arm on Buildroot and uClibc and in a second time, I have disabled this option.
  In both cases, I succeed in compiling a simple helloworld program on uClibc with debugging output using arm-linux-cc
  (arm-linux-cc -g  -o helloworld helloworld.c).

  But while trying to debug with gdb, I get the output as below:

  $ arm-linux-gdb helloworld
  GNU gdb 6.3
  This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --target=arm-linux-uclibc"...
  (gdb) continue
  The program is not being run.
  (gdb) run
  Starting program: /home/service2i/tmp/helloworld
  Don't know how to run.  Try "help target".
  (gdb) list
  1       #include <stdio.h>
  2       #include <time.h>
  3
  4       int main(void)
  5       {
  6               printf("helloworld");
  7               return 0;
  8       }
  9
  (gdb)

 Bellow is my gdb and gdbserver file command output :
 $ file gdb
 gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
 $ file gdbserver
 gdbserver: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), dynamically linked(uses shared libs), not stripped

  Did I miss something?
  Does anybody can help me in using gdb on arm?

  Thanks
  Benjamin

Benjamin TATSOPLO
Trainee Engineer