[patch] string cosmetics for SUSV3_LEGACY

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Thu Jul 6 13:21:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Bernhard Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The attached patch makes sure that we do not create empty object files
> when SUSV3_LEGACY functions are turned off.

We discussed this some time ago and a better/generic solution would be to
scan all the produced objects being empty and omit them from the archives.
We have many other empty objects that depend on a specific syscall
being present for example

> Ok?
>
> Also, i'd like to know if it is a good idea to provide fallback defines
> for the bcopy/bzero et al if SUSV3_LEGACY was explicitly turned off?

it does not cost anything to have the macros in headers. the only problem
until now I encountered was the index macro, because some c++ apps used
a "local" index and failed (gcc-libstdc++ is one of them)

> I certainly would have expected that these (impls and fallback defines)
> are _not_ available at all when i turned the option to support them off.
>
> thanks,

My idea was to get an update path that could be used from .28 (not really
done though), there are about 50 apps that needed a recompile to get rid
of these (and I was lazy to patch all of them)

Peter