relocation errors when loading kernel modules

F. P. fpont at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 01:27:08 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I am working on a PowerPC 405 with buildroot and
busybox, and a 2.4 kernel that I have to compile with
gcc 2.95 (to get RTAI on PPC to work). I have
successfully compiled a rootfs with buildroot and gcc
3.3.5 and I can boot my board via tftp and mount the
rootfs via nfs.

However, when I try to load any kernel module, I get
relocation errors like:
# modprobe usbcore
Warning unhandled reloc 0
insmod: Unhandled relocation of type 0

Note that everything works fine when the kernel and
modules are compiled with gcc 3.3.5.

Any ideas, suggestions or has anybody experienced
similar problems? I am stuck.. Don't know how to
continue my investigations.

Thanks for your help
Fred