svn commit: trunk/uClibc: extra/Configs libc/sysdeps/linux/vax li etc...

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Jan 27 22:09:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 16:26:26 -0500, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Friday 27 January 2006 16:20, jbglaw at uclibc.org wrote:
> > First round of VAX patches.
>
> curious ... how do you test ?  do you have actual vax hardware or do you use a
> simulator or ... ?  also, gcc and binutils status ... only usuable with
> latest mainline versions ?

Wow, a whole lot of questions in one run...

So here are some definitive answers. I do have real hardware (about 15
machines, from pizza box size up to about 3/4 of a full-height 19"
rack), which is partially supported (the common desktop machines are
best supported, the more mainframe-like VAX 6000m320 (that's even a
SMP machine) is in preparation for being targeted.)  There's also an
open-source simulator (SIMH, which I use as well), as well as some
commercial ones (which I don't use.)

All binutils patches are merged. You can build vax-linux and
vax-linux-uclibc targeted binutils out of upstream CVS.

There are a number of GCC patches (to be applied to current GCC SVN)
outstanding. These contain configury (for vax-linux{,-uclibc}), some
disabling of dwarf debugging infos (that got broken at some time and
code was changing *fast*, so we didn't keep fixing it...). There's
also a fix for udiv/urem (a VAX isn't forced to implement full
division support, so it's partially done in software.)

All remaining patches can be found in
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linux-vax/toolchain/patches/ .
There's also a build script in
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linux-vax/toolchain/scripts/
(first read the README file!). It first builds a (most probably
PC-Linux) hosted cross-compiler, then uses this to build a
vax-linux-uclibc hosted one. The GNU libc port isn't yet useable,
though hacking has started. There's a 2.6.something kernel in
SF.net CVS which is used for taking kernel headers from (take care:
the CVS module name is kernel-2.5!); actual kernel development is
done with a GIT repository, though. (That can be found at
http://www.kernel.org/git/).

The vax-linux-uclibc hosted compiler (targeting vax-linux-uclibc, too)
is actually useable. Quite a lot builds with it, as long as it doesn't
use libpthread or libm (there's some limited libm support, but that's
more "limited" than "support"ed...)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O