library name resolution

Andy Alexander andy at TheAlexanders.ws
Wed Jan 25 04:52:52 UTC 2006

I'm a bit new to Linux and uClibc so forgive me if I'm doing something
fundamentally stupid here.

I'm building an embedded system using a standard PC motherboard, uClibc
and the Alsa sound drivers.  I've had a heck of a time getting the alsa
utils to work correctly.  I've found the patches that were posted some
time back to this mailing list and that got me most of the way to
working.

I'm still having one problem that I don't understand.  Without some
hacking of aplay, I can't get a wav file to play.  It dies with an error
saying "set_params: 997 unable to install sw params".

I've traced the problem to a bogus value returned from a function called
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_period_size().  Upon further digging I found that
there are "versioned symbols" in the alsa-lib.  It appears what is
happening is that for this function, aplay is being linked to a
deprecated version of the function with a different parameter list.

Is there something I've done wrong in configuring uClibc?  Something
wrong in configuring or patching alsa-lib or alsa-utils?  I did get
debug info into ld-uClibc-0.9.28.so and tried to trace through the call
but it was doing things that were beyond my ability to follow using the
debugger.

I would appreciate any suggestions or questions about how I've got this
set up.

Details:
Alsa 1.0.10rc1 (drivers, utils and libs)
kernel 2.6.14.3
uclibc 0.9.28

Best regards,
Andy Alexander