[RFC] Fix MIPS strong_alias definition in libc-internal.h

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 09:03:24 UTC 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Steven J. Hill wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I wanted comments on this patch before applying it. This change
> is necessary in order for MIPS to build with the latest GCC-4.1.0
> series compilers, otherwise I get a warning message from the
> assembler and the alias is not defined leading to undefined symbols
> during linking. I am guessing that this works for GCC-3.x compilers
> and maybe even the GCC-4.0 and GCC-4.2 series. Comments please.
>
> -Steve

this seems to be equivalent to weak_alias.
glibc has a bunch of ifdefs around the code, checking if
.set/.weak/.weak_ext are supported for ex, if .set is not, then
#define strong_alias(x,y) weak_alias(x,y)

there are other checked cases, proper(unbroken) visibility support,
something about asm _DOT support (ppc64). if we have to differenciate
like this, I would rather do some defines in some arch specific header and
check that.

How will this behave for cross-compilers?

Peter