RFC: use of hidden_def/hidden_proto

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Fri Jan 6 15:46:19 UTC 2006

Hello!

I would want to begin using hidden_def/hidden_proto and related
lib*_hidden_* within uClibc as glibc(libc-symbols.h) does instead of the
current practice in uClibc that looks like:

attribute_hidden __func() {}
strong_alias(__func,func)

and #define func __func at the top of the *.c files, where func is in use
(some of the __func prototypes that are used more than 5 times are defined
if possible in libc-internal.h and the users are changed from func to
__func within *.c)

the glibc variant does

func() {}
lib*_hidden_def(func) (really creating a strong hidden alias __GI_func)

and uses lib*_hidden_proto(func) for the *.c where func is used (done
in some internal headers), so that *.c will use the internal name of func
(eg. __GI_func)

The change would imply to change all #define func __func (or partly
__func_internal , where we also need __func visible) lines in *.c to
libc_hidden_proto(func) and revert to the earlier definitions of func()
(removing attribute_hidden), but appending after func
libc_hidden_def(func)

Nothing to loose:
1. source code size and resulting object sizes remain the same
2. files overtaken from glibc need only libc_hidden_proto(func) for each
internal function that we want to be used with its internal name (this
can't be avoided due to the different header handling within glibc and
uClibc, glibc uses a set of internal headers that include the ones that
are finally installed on target and they put the internal prototypes
there)

Benefits:
1. for those not wanting to use the feature to remove the jump relocations
size of objects remains the same (currently if we set attribute_hidden to
empty, the code size will have duplicates: __func and func, where only one
is needed and making attribute_hidden empty will malfunction for PIC code
in some code - eg. __syscall_error)
2. correct handling of __REDIRECT from func() to func64(), because the
original header will do the redirection, libc_hidden_proto(func) will then
convert either func or func64 to its internal naming (that we can agree or
change within libc-internal.h if __GI_func is not ok, although we could
stay with it, because gdb has gotten support for it - gdb ignores
__x,__libc_x,__GI_x, noone else cares about these) (see how it has to be
done currently in libc-internal.h for __*64 duplicating the REDIRECT code
for __func[64])
3. we do not have to duplicate prototypes for __func and take care of them
later if we update/modify the original header that carries func, because
libc_hidden_proto(func) will do it for us internally. There are currently
more then 500 prototypes that would have to be duplicated if done
correctly without the #define func __func hack (that can't be used for any
func that has func64 equivalent)
4. allows later easy switch to versioned lib support
5. makes it easier to use internal versions even if macros are used
(currently almost impossible to track, I have lost about a week for
__fgetc_unlocked for ex. and havent found a solution for it yet due to
the many aliases and redefines).
6. allows a proper and consistent naming even for __func that need to stay
visible
7. the same procedure can be used for other libs (not only libc) and it
allows for files that are compiled both in libc and libpthread for ex. to
have different usages.
To make this understandable lets take an ex. locale.c exists within libc
and libpthread. We could have only one version and compile it for both
libs.
using libc_hidden_def(__curlocale) means create a hidden version to be
used within libc if built within libc, if built for libpthread the hidden
version is not created.

Thanks reading so far, Peter