[patch] Use /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh for bashisms

John Kelly jakelly at shtc.net
Tue Jan 3 19:21:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:47:20 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw
<jbglaw at lug-owl.de> wrote:

>> A POSIX shell is standard practice for building software.

>Right. But you should make sure that you actually *use* it.

You started this thread by arguing for "/bin/bash instead of /bin/sh
for bashisms."

>-#!/bin/sh
>+#!/bin/bash

which is unnecessary since $() is not a bashism, and would hinder
portability when bash is unavailable.

>Makefile:
>~~~~~~~~~
>target: deps
>	./extra/some/script.sh
>
>...is just wrong, if script.sh starts with "#!/bin/sh". It might be
>executed using /bin/sh, which need not be POSIX compliant.

... and now, in the name of portability, you're arguing against using
shebang at all.  I wonder how you can reconcile both arguments.

In comp.unix.shell, they enjoy frivolous debates of shell portability
esoterica, you might try there.