Busybox: cannot login

Mathieu Deschamps mathieu.deschamps at com2gether.net
Tue Feb 28 09:10:58 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 19:20, Andrea Paterniani wrote:
> Hi all!

Hello Andrea,

>     I have installed my distro on the target system PXA255 based.
> I build my system via buildroot using:
>   a.. buildroot-0.9.27 (patched to use different package versions)
>   b.. linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0
>   c.. binutils-2.15.91.0.2
>   d.. gcc-3.4.3
>   e.. uClibc-0.9.28
>   f.. busybox-1.1.0
>   g.. tinylogin-snaphshot
>   h.. dropbear-0.47
> I can login my system only as root.
> New added users and also the default user cannot login:

I had the opposite issue.

>     warning: cannot change to home directory
>     login: cannot run /bin/sh: Permission denied
>
> I have changed /bin permission from 700 to 744 and /bin/busybox from 4700
> to 4755.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -Andrea

I guess you checked your password and group files, you added a home dir to
your users, and you didn't put a ! before a pass entry (locked login), did
you ? Any doubt, take a look in a 'man passwd'.

Rather, I take the bet this could help :

Do you have an /etc/busybox.conf entry in your Root File System ?
That the suid mechanism, it's used to dynamically setup applet/file
access (using special file bits) in busybox (whereas changing /bin
permission in your device file is static).

Confere :
http://www.softforge.de/bb/suid.html

Regards,

Mathieu Deschamps
Com2gether Design Center
Electronic and Embedded Engineering Services
www.com2gether.net