ARM NPTL support for uClibc

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Fri Aug 25 17:13:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, David Daney wrote:

> Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Is there no way to get rid of the libgcc_s.so dependency, the uClibc-nptl
> > branch seems not to need it.
> >

> Can you get a linker map and see what the cause of the libgcc_s.so
> dependency is?
>
> David Daney.

I do not know if it is related, but in uClibc++ we import libgcc_eh.a
content to libuClibc++.so and since gcc-4.x a symbol crept in (do not
have gcc sources handy, it is something starting with 3 underscores and
probably TLS related), so that Garrett had to link against ld-linux.so.2
too, (we have --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed and depending on some config
options libgcc_s is linked against too) but uClibc's ldso does not provide
that symbol so he needed some workaround (as a config option UCLIBCXX_HAS_TLS)
to get it build on uClibc. The problem does not occur with gcc-3.4.x.

I assume that the arm NPTL port uses gcc>=4.1 (as mips does), iirc these
archs do not have (proper) TLS support in gcc<4.0.

We should really get rid of this dependency, how will you tell users,
install libgcc_s.so from gcc that you used to build and do not dare to
downgrade it? Or will we install libgcc_s.so without user interaction and
hope for the best?

Peter