Retiring from uClibc development

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Apr 11 21:30:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 21:44:27 +0100, Paul Brook <paul at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 20:45, Rich Felker wrote:
> > >
> > > first worry about TLS, then worry about NPTL
> >
> > I would encourage you to not support but reject TLS. It's an ugly,
> > bloated, nonstandard extension to the language and its propagation
> > into user programs should be discouraged as much as possible.
>
> What do you suggest as an alternative? AFAICS NPTL (which implies TLS support)
> in the only realistic option if you're serious about thread support.

Well, NPTL might be a highly efficient thread package, but there are
others that work "reasonably" well, too. We've seen various thread
packages and some of those really worked quite well.

To be honest, I was (personally) satisfied by linuxthreads, but for
basically a new port, I'll probably not attempt to port it[1].
Instead, I'll follow the whatever direction other Linux targets go,
and for now, that's NTPL with TLS.

MfG, JBG
[1] If gas, gcc and glibc changes seem to be "hard" enough, it may be
that I try to port linuxthreads in the mean time...

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O