[gmail] "Difference beetween uClibc and Glibc?"

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Apr 7 10:09:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:46:44AM +0200, Marc Leeman wrote:
> > I want to know the technical difference and the reason why the size of the
> > executable compiled with the uClibc is smaller than that of Glibc????????
>
> A very small effort in finding it yourself might do:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uclibc

Isn't this in the FAQ on the website?

Anyway depending what Marc means by larger, there are two answers:

- Larger on disk? This is mainly true if you static link, otherwise it
  shouldn't make too much difference to the size of the binary (altho
  the libc .so file and support files are about 20-100x as large as
  uclibc).

- Larger in memory? This is due to bad bad design of the code, using
  huge bloated data structures for the core components like stdio,
  complete disregard for relocations in data that should be constant,
  ... list could go on and on, basically glibc sucks.

Rich