Retiring from uClibc development

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Apr 2 01:13:09 UTC 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 4:45 pm, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 01:01:05PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Monday 27 March 2006 7:12 pm, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> > > Also realize that I haven't stopped my own development for uClibc.  It
> > > just takes place in my own tree.  When we release something linked with
> > > it, the patches will be made available and integrated.  But I can't
> > > ethicly (at least in my code of ethics) justify handing out bug fixes
> > > to my employer's competitors until necessary.
> >
> > Disturbing trend.
>
> Nothing disturbing about that at all.  If someone pays to develop
> feature X, they do not need to share the code for feature X until
> such time as they begin shipping uClibc with feature X included.
>
> There is nothing evil about this.

I didn't say it was evil, and I agree that people have the absolute right to
do this with their own contributions.  And it's good that more of the long
time contributors are being paid to work on it.

Perhaps it's an unrealistic ideal to think that what's best for the project as
a whole should be the primary concern of the majority of at least the
established, high profile developers.  Oh well.

> > Query: is there going to be a 0.9.29 release?
>
> Yes of course -- when it is working well enough to warrant a
> release.  Current svn is broken, at least on mips, which is all
> I've had a chance to test recently.

Any idea how I squeeze a qemu-compatible root image out of buildroot for a
non-x86 platform?  So far, I've consistently failed to make this work...

>  -Erik

Rob