Buildroot: cannot find /lib/libc.so.0

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Sep 30 18:19:00 UTC 2005

Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Stephen Warren wrote:
>>I think the real problem is that when "install_dev" above gets run, this
>>file gets created incorrectly:
>>
>>/.../swarren/tmp/buildroot-svn/build_i486/staging_dir/lib/libc.so
>>
>>with this content:
>>
>>=================================
>>/* GNU ld script
>> * Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
>> * the static library, so try that secondarily. */
>>GROUP ( /lib/libc.so.0 /lib/uclibc_nonshared.a )
>>=================================
>>
>>The value of PREFIX doesn't seem to be getting into libc.so, which is
>>what's causing the problems.
>

> no, PREFIX is not allowed to be used here IMHO. RUNTIME/DEVEL_PREFIX has
> to be correct (see my comment on the interpretion of these), I can't
> create that file based on PREFIX because any packaging software will have
> incorrect path in libc.so

Hmmm. Well, my making that change to uClibc's makefile, the buildroot
run succeeded, and libc.so looks good.

I'm not sure about what PREFIX really is - does it mean "install it
physically here", and DEVEL/RUNTIME_PREFIX mean "install it as though it
was installed here". If so, I see what you're saying.

In that case, I guess that buildroot should not be doing this:

 $(MAKE1) -C $(UCLIBC_DIR) \
                PREFIX=$(STAGING_DIR)/ \
                DEVEL_PREFIX=/ \
                RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ \