Driver Modules under linux-2.4.31 - unresolved sysmbols

PHILLIPS John M John.Phillips at framatome-anp.com
Thu Sep 15 13:32:51 UTC 2005

Short form of the question:
What is required to make a load-able driver module under the later versions
of linux 2.4.xx?

Long form of the question:
I have already build and run a linux-2.6 version of our drivers and
application. But a bug has appeared in our existing system and I need to
re-build a linux-2.4 version.  The makefiles used under linux-2.4.4 that
made simple loadable object modules no long seem to work under 2.4.31.  When
attempting "insmod <modulename>", I get unresolved symbols
__generic_copy_from_user, __release_region, reguster_chrdev, and more.