Buildroot BUG

Chris Elliott chris.p.elliott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 12:23:22 UTC 2005

> I think I have found a bug in the uclibc buildroot system.
>
> I have an Icecube (powerpc 5200) evaluation board and I have built
> buildroot with different versions of GCC, 3.3.6, 3.4.3, 3.4.4 and
> 4.0.0, and with thouse versions I can´t link properly u-boot, it seems
> that GCC doesn´t understand linker scripts well. The following lines
> shows a few linker scripts sections:

This is actually a bug in the u-boot linker scripts.  I haven't
submitted a fix, since every target has its own linker script.  I don't
have the fix in front of me, but here's what I remember.  If the
compiler has sections that aren't mentioned in the linker script, the
data can go between "__u_boot_cmd_start = .;" and
".u_boot_cmd:{*(.u_boot_cmd)}".

Looking at u-boot.map, I noticed 2 new sections that were getting put in
that space.  I was using gcc 3.4.3 for PPC built with buildroot.  Anyway
all I had to do was to add the 2 sections above with the others.

-Chris