Buildroot BUG

IGOR LURI iluri at fagorautomation.es
Thu Sep 1 13:52:17 UTC 2005

Hi all.

I think I have found a bug in the uclibc buildroot system.

I have an Icecube (powerpc 5200) evaluation board and I have built buildroot with different versions of GCC, 3.3.6, 3.4.3, 3.4.4 and 4.0.0, and with thouse versions I can´t link properly u-boot, it seems that GCC doesn´t understand linker scripts well. The following lines shows a few linker scripts sections:
					.data    :
					  {
					    *(.data)
					    *(.data1)
					    *(.sdata)
					    *(.sdata2)
					    *(.dynamic)
					    CONSTRUCTORS
					  }
					  _edata  =  .;
					  PROVIDE (edata = .);

					  __u_boot_cmd_start = .;
					  .u_boot_cmd : { *(.u_boot_cmd) }
					  __u_boot_cmd_end = .;

This is u-boot.map after building u-boot:

					*(.dynamic)
					                0xfff31c9c                _edata = .
					                0xfff31c9c                PROVIDE (edata, .)
					                0xfff31c9c                __u_boot_cmd_start = .
					                0xfff31c9c                . = ALIGN (0x1)
					                0xfff31c9c                __start_smartdmaInitData = .

					smartdmaInitData
					                0xfff31c9c        0x0
					                0xfff31c9c                __stop_smartdmaInitData = .
					                0xfff31e00                . = ALIGN (0x200)
					                0xfff31e00                __start_smartdmaTaskTable = .
					*(.u_boot_cmd)
					 .u_boot_cmd    0xfff32ad4       0x18 common/libcommon.a(cmd_autoscript.o)
					                0xfff32ad4                __u_boot_cmd_autoscr
					 .u_boot_cmd    0xfff32aec       0x18 common/libcommon.a(cmd_bdinfo.o)
					                0xfff32aec

As it can see, __u_boot_cmd_start simbol is out from section u_boot_cmd. __u_boot_cmd_start address points an array of commands, but in this address doesn´t exist an array. Because of this reason u-boot doesn´t boot on may board.

Is this a buildroot BUG?
Have I a buildroot bad configuration ?

Thanks in advance.

Igor Luri Bravo
Tecnico I+D Software
Fagor Automation S. Coop.
P. O. Box 144
E-20500 Mondragón-Arrasate
Tel. ++34 943 71 92 00 - ++34 943 03 98 00
Fax. ++34 943 79 17 12
www.fagorautomation.com

*	Este mensaje y los documentos que, en su caso, lleve anexos, pueden contener información confidencial. Por ello, se informa a quien lo reciba por error que la información contenida en el mismo es reservada y su uso no autorizado está prohibido legalmente, por lo que en tal caso le rogamos que nos lo comunique por la misma vía , se abstenga de realizar copias del mensaje o remitirlo o entregarlo a otra persona y proceda a borrarlo de inmediato.
*	 Mezu honek eta txertatuta eraman ditzakeen dokumentuek informazio konfidentziala izan dezakete. Hori dela eta, nahi gabe hartzen duenari jakinarazten zaio bertako informazioa erreserbatua  dela eta baimenik gabe erabiltzea legez debekatuta dagoela; horregatik, bide beretik guri jakinarazteko eskatzen diogu, eta aldi berean  mezuaren kopiarik ez egiteko, beste pertsona bati ez emateko eta berehala ezabatzeko erregutzen diogu."
*	This message together with any documents attached may contain confidential information. You are informed that if you should receive it by mistake, the information it contains is reserved and its use is not authorized. It is legally prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please let us know as soon as possible by e-mail. Do not make any copies of the message, nor send it or give it to anybody else. Please delete it right away.