[RFC] Changing return type for 'dlopen'...

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 21 13:25:41 UTC 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 07:42 am, sjhill at realitydiluted.com wrote:
> > > Anyway, does anyone have objections if I make the 'void *'
> > > returned actually be the address of a 'struct elf_resolve *'?
> >
> > are you talking about internal or external interfaces ?
>
> I am speaking of the external interfaces. Although, while we're
> at it, without looking more closely, why does it matter?  Why
> is the internal passing something other than 'struct elf_resolve *'?

the external glibc interface is type void*

SuSv3 says it should be void*
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/dlopen.html

'struct elf_resolve' is an internal type which is not exported by any headers

what dlopen actually returns really shouldnt be known by the end user ... the
void* kind of enforces that aspect ...
-mike