Building with Uclibc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Nov 30 13:49:26 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 04:33, Rory Vieira wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd like to utilize Uclibc for my boot cd.
>
> Is there any manual around explaining how to build Uclibc plus gcc by hand?
> I've been looking at buildroot, but only need a extremly small subset of...

An alternate way of doing it (nothing to do with buildroot) is in my firmware
Linux built at "http://www.landley.net/code/firmware".  If you're familiar
with Linux From Scratch, you should be able to follow what I'm doing.
(Working on a new release, but I keep being a sucker and installing
linux-*-rc2, -rc3...  And adding to my debugging time...)

Or you could just go look at Linux From Scratch directly, I believe they have
a hint file on this.  (It was way out of date when I looked at it, but I can
only assume it's been upgraded since...)

> So far I have compiled and installed Uclibc to my likings.
> Now I need gcc/binutils to finish the job and be able to compile the
> remaining
> stuff (busybox & bash)

In _theory_, with gcc 4.0 the target "i386-pc-linux-uclibc" should work.
(Just replace -gnu with -uclibc for whatever your target is).  In practice, I
haven't been able to beat it quite into shape yet (to-do item) so I'm using
sed against the source code...

Rob