Usage of uClibc - newbie question

devin at freeshell.org devin at freeshell.org
Fri Nov 18 15:45:07 UTC 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 7:51, Rob Landley wrote:

> Once long ago I set out to link "hello world" against uClibc
> entirely by hand,
> and I eventually did.  It was  abit of a pain:
>
> http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-September/006875.html
>
> And even _then_ there was the problem that libgcc linked against
> glibc, so it
> was tough not to suck in glibc by accidentally using various built-
> in gcc
> functions like performing 64 bit division on a 32 bit platform or
> what have
> you.  (These sorts of intermittent but unsolvable issues were the
> reason the
> wrapper was abandoned and everybody went "just build a uClibc
> toolchain".)

Was there ever an attempt to try to get the upstream gcc maintainers
to make it independent of the standard library and also avoid the
other type of issues you encountered?  It seems at first glance like
it would be more elegant to be able to use not just uClibc, but also
home-brewed libraries, with an out of the box compiler.

--
Devin Bayer