sshd udev & pty... SOLUTION

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Nov 16 22:20:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 21:57 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> yes, /dev/pts must be mounted *after* udev is mounted on /dev, otherwise
> the /dev/pts mount will be masked and generally unreachable
>
> > The post I saw said something about a sort of race condition with
> > this... I wasn't as far along with figuring out my problem to realize it
> > may have merit in my case.
>
> i wouldnt call it a race condition unless your init system is starting
> scripts in parallel ... udev should *always* come before devpts and just
> about any other mount operation (except like /proc and /sys)

Well after all that I finally have a working system. The problem lies in
our (buildroot) inittab & udev. inittab does a mount -a and then calls
the initsripts. So because devpts is in /etc/fstab it gets mounted. Then
S10-udev gets called. This mounts the tmpfs/ramfs over /dev and then
creates the /dev/pts and /dev/input /dev/shm. So I modified the S10-udev
scripts. It checks /proc/mounts for devpts and unmounts it. Mounts
itself and then remounts devpts. One of my todo list problems gone.

Thanks everyone for the pointers, I wouldn't have had a clue where to
look to start figuring this all out.

I'm wondering what the best way to solve this is. Do I add a patch to
the udev files in buildroot. Is the way I go about doing this correct? I
got the idea from the ubuntu scripts I looked at. Any other ideas on how
to set this up properly? Before I submit the patch to buildroot?

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions