sshd udev & pty...

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 16 21:57:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:53:46PM -0800, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> I think the real problem is actually getting it mounted properly. For
> example, when I boot up, the /dev/pts reports only rw as a mount option.
> I also tried getting it the right values in the S10-udev script where it
> does mkdir $udev_root/pts I added chown 0:5 and chmod 620.

well, simply doing a chown/chmod wont have the same affect as using the
mount/gid options ... those will affect newly created device nodes as
well ... and the 0620 permissions actually make plenty of sense ... you
wouldnt want general joe blow user being able to read your pty device :)

> I saw something out of the corner of my eye that may be the culprit. rcS
> does a mount  -a which mounts the dev/pts stuff. Then udev starts and
> mounts itself over /dev creates the pts,input and some other dir I don't
> remember. So is my mounted /dev/pts hidden by udev mounting over dev??

yes, /dev/pts must be mounted *after* udev is mounted on /dev, otherwise
the /dev/pts mount will be masked and generally unreachable

> The post I saw said something about a sort of race condition with
> this... I wasn't as far along with figuring out my problem to realize it
> may have merit in my case.

i wouldnt call it a race condition unless your init system is starting
scripts in parallel ... udev should *always* come before devpts and just
about any other mount operation (except like /proc and /sys)
-mike