[uClibc] Porting to a new arch (New FPU)

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Thu May 26 19:14:59 UTC 2005

On Thu May 26, 2005 at 09:56:22AM -0700, Kenneth Crudup wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>
> > This weekend an ABI change went in to uClibc. Only PowerPC and
> > x86 has been updated to match the new ABI. The remianing archs will
> > SEGV until they are fixed.
>
> If this wasn't an accident, I have to call this one as "irresponsible".

<boggles>

It wasn't an accident, and it certainly was not "irresponsible"!

We (the developers of uClibc) reserve the right to break the SVN
tree whenever we deem it necessary to the advancement of uClibc.
We discussed the change in advance and I gave it my blessing as a
change that is in fact necessary for all architectures.  It is
also a difficult change, since it requires changing assembly
language code for every architecture.  Few people are perfectly
conversant with the assembly language for every architecture,
thus Joakim sensibly made the changes to just a few, and I
committed to change several others.

I then became busy doing my real job (you know, the stuff that I
get paid for -- which incidentally is not supporting uClibc).
And thus I have not yet gotten around to fixing mips and arm etc.

Unless you are paying someone to support and maintain uClibc for
you, I suggest you keep your rude and condesending comments to
yourself.