[uClibc] Porting to a new arch (New FPU)

Yann Poupet yann.poupet at free.fr
Thu May 26 07:36:53 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'd like to know if there are HOWTOs on how to port uClibc for new architecture.
My goal is to port it on Cirrus EP93xx processors. These processors are based on
a ARM920T core, which is allready supported by uClibc. But they have an added
FPU (the MaverickCrunch) which is not supported.

Support for MaverickCrunch has been released for glibc. (see
http://yann.poupet.free.fr/ep93xx/ for more informations)

I've tried to report the Maverick patch used for glibc (vers. 2.3.3) to uClibc.
Most of it was reported quiet easyly (the files are similar), but this doesn't
mean it will work. The problem is for lines added by this patch to some glibc
file that doesn't exist in uclibc. There are few :

in sysdeps/arm/gccframe.h, the patch replaces "define FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER 27"
by "define FIRST_PSEUDO_REGISTER 43". I haven't been able to find something
similar in uclibc. Do someone knows what would need to be changed ?

in sysdeps/arm/fpu/fegetround.c and sysdeps/arm/fpu/fesetround.c, some lines are
replaced but once again, I could not find any equivalent code in uclibc.

I've try to patch uclibc ignoring these changes.
I've built a toolchain using buildroot, with a Maverick patch for GCC &
Binutils. I could compile a software (I use flac for my tests), but of course
it didn't work (segfault).

Any comment / help / pointers welcome.

Best regards

Yann