[uClibc] buildroot gcc-4 proposed changes

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed May 11 21:41:57 UTC 2005

On Wed May 11, 2005 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi Manuel, you might check with the author of diet libc, who is
> doing something similar licensewise.  I think he's using the
> GPL for the library, and keeping full copyright so he can also
> sell proprietary licenses.  This might be a very good model for
> you,

That is the theory anyway.  In practice felix has used code from
existing GPLd projects without any written assignment of
copyright and has accepted code and bug fixes from many people.
Thus, imho he is not in a position to be selling anything as he
is not an exclusive copyright holder...

Troll tech on the other hand have been very very careful over the
years using exactly this business model and carefully avoiding
any chance of eroding their copyright ownership of qt, and have
used the business model very effectively.  I don't think mjn3
plans on growing a business, but regardless, it should provide a
means for him to actually contribute to hospice, since doing work
and politely requesting donations has proven ineffective.