[uClibc] buildroot gcc-4 proposed changes

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 11 16:15:28 UTC 2005

Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Given that the 2 months of work I contributed to busybox with a
> dedication generated no donations of consequence, and all the time
> I spent working on the kernel and wireless drivers for the wrt54g
> generated nothing but whining and complaining when I asked for
> donations up front, and given that I'm not aware of any significant
> donations stemming from the dedication file I put in uClibc well over
> a year ago, I'm forced to try to persuade commercial users of uClibc
> to donate.
>
> I have no intention of limiting non-commercial use and plan to LGPL
> the code once an amount is raised equivalent to what I would have
> charged for the work.

Hi Manuel,
you might check with the author of diet libc, who
is doing something similar licensewise.  I think
he's using the GPL for the library, and keeping
full copyright so he can also sell proprietary
licenses.  This might be a very good model for you,
as it would make the new library both free (for
GPL projects) and commercial (for commercial projects).

I also urge you to promote yourself more as a
contractor.  Perhaps you could subcontract for
one of the established outfits that spun off
from Cygnus...
- Dan