[uClibc] buildroot gcc-4 proposed changes

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Tue May 10 04:16:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 10:36:40PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:

> > > Then I would propose to stick w/ the current implementation, add what is
> > > missing to it (all float/double/long double missing from SuSv3,see math
> > > patches from me in bugs.uclibc.org), put your implementation parallely to
> > > the current, so that anyone can choose the one that fits her/his
> > > licensing requirements, until the new one will become LGPL too.
> >
> > Absolutely not.  Why should I care about commercial users who do not or
> > have never supported uClibc development?  If they want to use the old
> > stuff, then they can go to the trouble of integrating it and maintaining
> > it themselves.  I don't see why I should make it easy for them.
>
> I don't think this counts as "mere aggregation".  Can you patch it into uClibc
> and distribute the result if it's not under a compatible license?

And just to reiterate since it seems to have been dropped from the
quoted section, this is yet another attempt to generated charitable
donations for hospice in Toni's name.

Given that the 2 months of work I contributed to busybox with a
dedication generated no donations of consequence, and all the time
I spent working on the kernel and wireless drivers for the wrt54g
generated nothing but whining and complaining when I asked for
donations up front, and given that I'm not aware of any significant
donations stemming from the dedication file I put in uClibc well over
a year ago, I'm forced to try to persuade commercial users of uClibc
to donate.

I have no intention of limiting non-commercial use and plan to LGPL
the code once an amount is raised equivalent to what I would have
charged for the work.

Manuel